Fall is when my reading — and baking — really kick into high gear. All the delicious-looking recipes I tore out of magazines during the summer (you know, when it was too hot to turn on the oven) can finally be made! And nothing enhances a good book like the irresistible aroma of something warm, buttery, and fruity slowly baking to golden perfection.
Even if you’re not much of a baker, this easy and basic fruit crisp recipe is pretty much foolproof. Don’t feel like peeling apples? Dump in a bag of frozen mixed berries! I won’t tell! And with all that wholesome fruit and rolled oats, you can even make an argument that it’s sorta healthy. But really, a hot apple crisp needs no justification. Best served with a can’t-put-it-down book.
Cozy Fall Fruit Crisp
3 cups fresh fruit (peeled and chopped apples, peeled and chopped pears, mixed berries, whatever you like!)
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, gently toss together fruit and white sugar; set aside.
3. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half of mixture in the bottom of an 8×8 inch pan. (If you prefer, you can blind-bake the crust for a few minutes before adding fruit.)
4. Cover crust with fruit. Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture over the fruit.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30–40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown.